Double Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Of all the food categories out there, appetizers are the most fun. Appetizers the go to food when surrounded by family and friends, and usually at the most enjoyable times. They are the feel-good food! Our home is no exception, and we’ve actually made appetizers a part of some of our most cherished holiday traditions. We have some old standbys that we make every year, and this Double Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers recipe is one!
Preparing Jalapenos Poppers–Safely!
The jalapenos I had when making this jalapeno popper recipe were beautiful and huge. They were also quite spicy which made them perfect for this appetizer. I would suggest, however, when making these that you always use food prep gloves and take out all the seeds and ribs. Otherwise, you run the risk of getting hot pepper oils in places you don’t want! (Jalapeno oil near the eyes is just painful–ask me how I know!)
What makes these appetizers so good is the double bacon wrapping. Use the best quality bacon you can for this since it is the first thing your taste buds encounter. The bacon I used was an antibiotic-free, heritage breed pork which was sliced to a medium thickness. If you have a really thickly sliced package of bacon, you will likely need to bake the jalapeno poppers longer than what is outlined in the recipe below.
- 8 Large Jalapenos
- 1 8oz. Package of Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 t. Garlic Powder
- 1 t. Onion Powder
- 1 C. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Package of Sliced Bacon (or 2 slices per jalapenos)
- Mix cream cheese, cheddar cheese, garlic powder and onion powder in a bowl. Place mixture in a quart size storage bag and press to the corner of the bag.
- Wearing gloves, cut the stem end from the jalapeno and slit one side to the tip of the jalapeno.
- Remove ribs and seeds.
- Cut the corner of the storage bag with the cheese mixture, and fill each jalapeno with the cheese mixture.
- Wrap the jalapeno with one slice of bacon length-wise to cover the open cap and slit. Then wrap the second piece of bacon around whole jalapeno popper. If needed, secure the bacon with a toothpick.
- Repeat until all jalapenos are filled and wrapped.
- Place jalapenos on a backing rack set on a cookie sheet which has a lip. (You need a cookie sheet with sides to avoid grease from leaking all over the oven. You may also want to line the cookie sheet with foil for easier cleanup afterward!)
- Bake for 50 mins at 350 degrees or until the bacon is cooked through.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 255mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g