Like many of you, I am cooking from my pantry and freezer right now while trying to avoid the craziness of the world we are in now. This last week, I was rummaging through my freezer and found a pound of ground bison that I had picked up on clearance from a local grocery store and stashed in the freezer for another day. Well, today is the day!
If you haven’t had bison meat, it tastes a lot like ground beef and does not have the game-y flavor that you might find in other non-mainstream meats. Plus, it is actually one of the lean meats with fewer calories, less fat, and more protein packed than beef which makes it a healthier option for those recipes which call for beef. (If you’d like more information on bison vs beef, check out this article.) You might be wondering how to cook ground bison? Just like you would ground beef with maybe a little olive oil to keep it from sticking to your pan. While it can be a bit pricey, I have found that it usually goes on sale for the same price you would pay for grass fed ground beef in my local supermarket. It also seems to be on the shelves right now when ground beef isn’t available at my local supermarket.
With all that said, what did I do with this pound of delicious meat? Today I elected to make a Tater Tot Casserole with it, but you can also make any recipe using ground bison that you would usually use ground beef. (Think tacos, bison burgers, etc…) In addition to having the ground bison in the freezer, I had a huge bag of tater tots which needed to be used and a bag of mixed vegetables (If you don’t have the frozen mixed vegetables, it can be left out.) Add in a can of cream of mushroom soup, onion powder and garlic powder from the pantry and a little shredded cheese from the refrigerator, and ta-da!! This casserole makes a 9×13 pan of goodness which will feed an average sized family.
Bison Tater Tot Casserole
1 lb Ground Bison
1-16 oz bag Frozen Mixed Vegetables
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 T. Onion Powder
1 T. Garlic Powder
1-32 oz Bag of Tater Tots
2 C. Shredded Cheese (I used a four cheese cheddar blend.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a large skillet and add about 1 T of Olive Oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the bison meat. Salt and pepper to taste and cook until browned.
- Add powdered onion and garlic, stir, and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Turn off heat and add cream of mushroom soup and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Add mixture to a greased 9×13 pan and cover with 1 C of cheese.
- Cover with a layer of tater tots.
- Cover again with the remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until tots are browned and casserole is bubbly.